Margaret Wragg Sloss
"May the time come when the world will recognize, and accept in a taken-for-granted sort of way, that it is as universally true of women as it is true of men, that regardless of their natural gifts and talents, of their chosen field of interest, or of the triviality or the enormity of their contributions in that field of interests; regardless of these things and the many others that are too often charged to be differentiating characteristics, all are fundamentally, and primarily only human at heart. "--Margaret Sloss
Margaret Wragg Sloss helped shape ISU's College of Veterinary Medicine's admission policy by becoming the first woman to be admitted to and graduate from that college. After receiving her Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree, she remained on staff as a teaching veterinarian in pathology.
Click here for the article by Rosalie Cushman on Margaret Sloss
Margaret Sloss Center for Women and Gender Equity
Committees were established in the late 1960s to discuss issues concerning women in the ISU community. Beginning in 1972, a group of women educators from Iowa State University began meeting on a regular basis for the purpose of developing a proposal for a women’s center at Iowa State University. In 1981, the Margaret Sloss Center for Women and Gender Equity, formally known as the Margaret Sloss Women's Center, was established on campus in the Sloss House.
The Sloss Center was named after Margaret Wragg Sloss, the first woman to gain admission to and graduate from the College of Veterinary medicine here at Iowa State University. She earned her Bachelor degree in Zoology from Iowa State in 1923 and her Master's degree in Veterinary Anatomy in 1923. Born in 1901, Sloss died in 1979, leaving behind a legacy of courage and tenacity. Her dedication to women and excellence live on at the Center.
For more details about the Margaret Sloss Center for Women and Gender Equity history, click here
The Sloss House has become lost in the University's growth over the last 100 years. However, it still retains most of its original character with the surrounding environment. Everything remains virtually unchanged, as if it has just been completed, except for the overgrowth of some of the vegetation and the fact that Curtiss Hall is to the North and Gerdin Business College to the South. A view from the house to the west and east can give you a historic feeling of what the campus may have actually looked like in its early years." Today only three faculty home remain on campus.
For more interesting facts about the Sloss House and who've lived here, click here for the article by Jeffrey Chick